POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 12:20:21
Message: <3c0fa8bf.22512592@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:55:57 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c0f8a23$1@news.povray.org> , "Mael" <mae### [at] hotmailcom>
>wrote:
>
>> hmmm gcc (the gnu compiler) runs on many platforms,
>Don't get me started on gcc and its many, many flaws*, just so much:  Their
>core developers recently (in a discussion about future of development and
>supporting IA-64) criticized the many problems they have in their code and
>that nobody wants to commit to fix them, but lots of people porting it here
>and there.  In summary this looks exactly like POV-Ray would be now if all
>the people over the years had had their way.
>* It is a portable C compiler.  It is a great C compiler for embedded
>development as commercial compilers for embedded systems or usually very
>expensive.  However, for any serious work outside the embedded world,
>especially on desktop or server systems it is unsuitable.  A million monkeys
>on a million typewriters won't change that.

I agree with you... Gcc is not a serious environment for complex
projects. So which compilers are U using? As I own intel C Compiler
for VisualC I could compile the povray sources for the official
distro, if the pov-team does not have access to it. Another fine tool
from intel is the Vtune profiler...